I want to upload the exercises we have completed in our first self-care workshop of our five weeks series. The first workshop focused on Resourcing and Grounding Techniques. The exercises we engaged in includes: the 5-4-3-2-1 Grounding Exercise, Square Breathing, and the Safe Place and Container Exercise.
5-4-3-2-1 Grounding Exercise (led by Simone):
Sit comfortably in a chair and ensuring that you are relaxed. Now,
- Name 5 things you can see in the room with you
- Name 4 things you can feel (i.e., the chair on your back, or your feet on the floor)
- Name 3 things you can hear right now
- Name 2 things you can smell in the room
- Name 1 thing you can taste
You can also try extending the 5-4-3-2-1 exercise by focusing on 5 things you can see, feel, hear, smell, and taste, followed by an additional 4 things you can see, feel, hear, smell, and taste. Keep on going until you reach 1 of each sensory.
Square Breathing (led by Phillip):
Once again sit comfortably in a chair and ensuring that you are feeling relaxed.
- Begin by imagining a square. You can trace the square in the air with your finger as well.
- Along one side of the square inhale through you nose on the count of 4-3-2-1.
- Trace the horizontal line and hold your breath for a count of 4-3-2-1.
- Trace the next vertical line and exhale through your nose on the count of 4-3-2-1.
- Trace the next horizontal line and hold your breath for a count of 4-3-2-1.
- Repeat the steps for 5 breathing cycles
Safe place and container (led by Nicole):
Nicole provided the group with a guided visualization of a safe/calm place exercise as well as a container exercise. You can practice related guided visualizations by going to YouTube and use search words such as “safe space guided visualization” and “container exercises”. Try to find one that works for you!